My Shopping List
Most Recent Items:
Roast Pork Shoulder Caribbean-Style
Courtesy of National Pork Board
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: 2 Hr. 50 Min.
Marinate: 4 Hr.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 4-5 lb. bone-in pork shoulder
+ 1 medium onion, thickly sliced
+ 1 head garlic, peeled
+ 2 Tbsp. oregano
+ 2 tsp. cumin seed
+ 2 tsp. salt
+ 1 tsp. black peppercorns
+ 2 bay leaves
+ 1 Tbsp. lard, OR oil
+ zest and juice of 1 orange, grated
+ zest and juice of of 1 lemon, grated
+ juice of 1 bitter orange*
+ substitute: 1 part lime or lemon juice + 2 parts orange juice
What to do:
1. Using a sharp knife make several shallow cuts (about 1/2-in. deep) in the pork, place in a glass or ceramic roasting pan. Spread the onion slices on the bottom of the pan.
2. Place the rest of the ingredients in a food processor or blender and process to make a paste. Rub the pork with the mixture on all sides, making sure it goes into the cuts. Place pork on top of the onions. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 4 hr,, turning once, leaving the fat side up for cooking.
3. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Place the pork in the middle rack of the oven. After 30 min. turn down the temperature to 325° and cook an additional 2 hr., basting every 30 min. or so with its own juices. Plan for a total of 25-30 min. per lb., or until the internal temperature as measured with a meat thermometer is 160°F.
4. Remove the pork from the oven and allow to rest 15 min. before carving, discard onions.
* The less tender shoulder cut is given a long slow cooking time to create a tender meal. Serve with red beans and rice and a tropical fruit salad.
* Recipe and photo courtesy of National Pork Board. For more recipes visit:
Calories: 282; Total Fat: 16g; Saturated Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 95mg; Total Carbs: 7g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 27g; Sodium: 597mg;